Back again with yet another delicious, mouth-watering recipe!
This time I am introducing the Queen of our hearts, The master chef of them all- My dearest Grandmom. There’s never been a day when we haven’t craved for those homely dishes prepared by her so lovingly. Even today, going home to enjoy her wonderful cooking is a treat for the whole family.
Today she presents a simple, yet spicy mango pickle which is easy to make and a sure-to-be favourite. Let’s dive straight in.
Tips to note
- Always use mangoes with slightly tender skin
- Store the pickle in a clean, dry ceramic jar
- If preserving for a longer time, make sure you sun dry the mangoes well till there is no moisture left.
- Choose a sunny day for best results.
- Mangoes (cut into medium square-shaped pieces) –1 kg
- Chilly powder –1/4 cup (or as per how spicy you prefer )-Using Kashmiri chilly powder will give more colour
- Asafoetida-3 tablespoons
- Fenugreek +mustard –1/4 cup each (coarsely crush together in a blender )
- Garlic- 15 cloves
- Bengal Gram- two handfuls
- Gingelly oil-1/2 cup
Method of preparation
Wash the mangoes well in running water. Dry them and cut into medium-sized cubes- 1*1 inches. Do not peel the skin off. So make sure you select mangoes with tender skin.
Add the required amount of salt (as per your taste) and mix the pieces well.
Dry the salted mango pieces in the hot sun for a whole day. The moisture should be completely dried off.
Once the initial drying has been completed, you need to prepare the spices.
*For best results, use fresh spices.
Add the required chilly powder, asafoetida and garlic to the dried mango pieces.
Then add the crushed fenugreek-mustard mixture to this.
Blend the spices well with the mango pieces.
Add the soaked Bengal gram .
Next pour in the required quantity of oil.
Mix again till the whole mango mixture blends well.
Keep the pickle in the hot sun again for three consecutive days till there is no moisture at all.
Transfer the pickle to a jar and pour some gingelly oil over the top.
Store in a clean, dry ceramic jar.