Introducing my Aunt Mrs Rajasree Raghu to you all. With her excellent cooking skills, she prepares a wide variety of innovative and popular dishes which are mind-blowingly tasty.
Punjabi Chicken Curry
This chicken recipe is surely going to be one of your favourites. Your dinners are going to be an instant success with this tempting dish. Let’s go into the details.
1. Main Ingredients
- Chicken -1 kg
- Finely chopped Onion – 4 big or 6 small
- Green chillies-
- Ghee- As required
- Salt- as required
- Finely chopped Coriander leaves- 2 handfuls
- Ginger – One big piece
- Garlic- 10 cloves
- (Make a ginger garlic paste with the above two ingredients)
- Chilly powder – 3 tablespoons
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 2 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder -1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 3 teaspoon
- (Make a mixture of the above spices in water. It should be a paste-like consistency)
4.Spices to powder
- Fennel -1 tablespoon
- Cinnamon-one piece
- Cloves – 5
- (Grind and Powder all these together )
- 5.Shredded Coconut-One half of a whole coconut-(Grind this to a fine paste to resemble a butter-like consistency)
- 6. Thick curd- 1 cup
- 7. Sugar – 4 tablespoons
Method of preparation
- Heat a thick bottomed pan. Add three tablespoons of ghee to it. Add sugar to the ghee. Do not stir the sugar. When the sugar starts foaming, add the spice powders in list 4. Saute these till the raw smell disappears.
- Add the finely chopped onions and sauté till they turn golden brown.
- Add salt to this while sauteing.
- Next, add the chopped tomatoes and continue stirring.
- When the oil separates from the onion-tomato mixture, add the ginger garlic paste. Saute well to get a cooked smell.
- Then add the chopped green chillies.
- Next, carefully mix in the masala paste from List 3.
- Cook on a low flame to get all the ingredients well blended.
- At this stage, add the chicken pieces and cook on low flame for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave closed to settle for 10 minutes.
- This step allows the masalas and other ingredients to soak into the chicken pieces and you will have some juicy chicken pieces. So do not forget to turn off the flame and let all the ingredients blend into the chicken.
- Now open the pan lid and add 4 cups of water. Once the chicken is well cooked, allow the gravy to thicken.
- Make a paste with cashew nuts and shredded coconut.
- Add the shredded coconut-cashew paste to the pan and mix well for 5 minutes
- Then add the thick curd. Stir well and allow the gravy to thicken.
- Turn off the flame and transfer into a serving dish.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.