Hey there 🙂
Say Hello to Mrs Nirmala Ravindran, my Aunt, who is an abode of healthy and nutritious recipes. With her super special skills, she makes cooking seem so effortless and always ends up serving perfectly tasty dishes.
Today, she brings us a bitter gourd dish – Gratifying ,healthy and easy to cook ! A wonderful recipe which makes even fussy eaters love Karela (bitter gourd).
If you are a health-conscious person, then you should definitely, try this out because bitter gourd has some really great health benefits like
- lowering bad cholesterol,
- maintaining sugar levels,
- providing glowing skin,
- cleansing the liver
- reducing your weight etc.
Now get ready to prepare this immunity-boosting dish !
- Main Ingredients
- Bitter gourd- 2 medium-sized, sliced into small pieces
- Salt – as required
- Sugar -1 teaspoon
- Onion- 1 medium-sized (chopped)
- Mustard – for seasoning
- Coconut oil- for frying
2.Ingredients for masala paste
- Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder- ½ teaspoon
- Cumin seeds -1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic-6 cloves
- (Grind the above to a fine paste )
3.Tamarind – A small ball (the size of a gooseberry)
Soak this in water and keep aside for a few minutes. Squeeze the tamarind and remove the pieces to get the tamarind water.
Method of preparation
- Slice the bitter gourd into small pieces and marinate with the required salt. Shallow fry them in coconut oil. You do not have to deep fry.
- Take some coconut oil in a pan.
- When heated, splutter the mustard seeds.
- Saute the chopped onion till golden brown.
- Now add the half-fried bitter gourd pieces.
- Saute for 5 minutes and then add in the masala paste.
- Stir well to blend the ingredients .
- Next, add the tamarind water.
- Let this boil well.
- Add one teaspoon of sugar.
- Switch off the flame and transfer into a serving dish.
- Enjoy !