Welcome to a tasty & crunchy chicken fry recipe, graciously explained by my Aunt, Mrs Sunitha Gopakumar-A talented master chef who prepares the most impressive and tempting dishes. With her innovative ideas, she excels in creating healthy eating habits for the entire family.
Crunchy Green Chilly Chicken Fry
Normally, frying chicken requires a lot of oil, however, this wonderful recipe allows you to prepare the dish with very less oil. Combined with the benefits from coriander and mint leaves, you have a nutritious treat, just perfect for your dinners.
- Chicken -1/2 kg ( cut into small pieces)
- Lemon- one half (squeeze and keep the juice aside)
- Salt- As per your taste
- Green chillies- 5 (spicy chillies)
- Garlic cloves- 3
- Ginger -One medium piece
- Coriander leaves- One handful
- Pudina/Mint leaves- One handful
- Curry leaves- One handful
- Curd- as required for grinding the ingredients in List 2
Grind the above to a fine paste. Add curd carefully as the mix will turn watery if you add it all at once.
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil – For frying
Method of preparation
- Marinate the chicken with lime juice and required salt. Keep aside for 1.5 hours. You do not have to keep it in the refrigerator.
- In the meantime, prepare the masala paste by grinding the ingredients in List 2. As mentioned above, take care while adding the curd. You should have a fine paste which is not runny or watery. Otherwise, this will affect the texture of the fried chicken. So add the curd carefully, just enough to have a thick consistency.
- After 1.5 hours, take the marinated chicken and add the ground masala paste to it.
- Finally, add turmeric powder (List 3) and mix well.
- Check if you have got the salt added as per your taste. It should be just right as we have let the chicken settle for 1.5 hours earlier. If you feel you need more salt, add it at this point.
- Set aside for 2 hours maximum. (Though it seems to be a long wait, keeping the marinated chicken for 2 hours will give you the best results.)
- Take a frying pan and add oil to it. This is a recipe which requires only shallow frying, so just pour the required amount of oil. There is no need to deep fry the chicken pieces.
- When the oil is heated, add the chicken pieces carefully and close the pan with a lid.
- Closing the pan will help the chicken cook perfectly and allow the spices to blend well to make the pieces juicy and yummy.
- Open in between and turn over the pieces so that both sides will fry well.
- Once dry, remove from the heat and transfer to a serving dish.
Let your tastebuds explode as you savour the finger-licking chicken pieces!